During your consultation, your oral surgeon will review some basic guidelines about preparing for surgery and IV sedation. Here is a summary of the general surgical guidelines:
- Avoid having anything to eat or drink, including water, for eight (8) hours before your surgery.
- Avoid smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, we recommend patients eliminate smoking altogether.
- You will need a responsible adult to accompany you to the appointment, wait for you, listen to any essential post-surgical instructions, and drive you home. We cannot discharge patients who do not have a ride lined up.
- Following the anesthesia experience, you should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery for at least 24 hours.
- We advise patients to wear loose-fitting clothes with short sleeves and low-heeled shoes.
- Before surgery, we will ask you to remove dentures, contact lenses, and jewelry.
- On the day of your surgery, avoid wearing lipstick, nail polish, or excessive makeup.
- Notify the office if you have any kind of illness leading up to the day of your surgery, including a sore throat, cough, upset stomach, etc.
- Ensure that you discuss any medications you currently take with your surgeon. Ideally, you should furnish a current list of medications at your initial consultation.
Always ask your surgeon if you have any questions or concerns.